Download a CSV file of your transactions to send to your accountant, or upload your file directly to CoinTracker to combine your transactions from multiple trading platforms. This guide will show you how.
Before we get into how to download your transaction history, the general lo-down on crypto taxation in Canada can be found here.
A few key factors to note about filing your cryptocurrency taxes in Canada:
- The CRA generally treats cryptocurrency like a commodity for purposes of the Income Tax Act
- Income from cryptocurrency transactions is generally treated as business income or as a capital gain (this depends on specific circumstances)
- Each cryptocurrency is taken into account as a separate digital asset and must be valued separately
How to Download your Transaction History File (to take to your accountant)
1. Log into your Newton account on a web browser (mobile support coming soon). Navigate to the Full History button beside Recent Activity.
2. Click on Export account history.
3. Export the Report for 2019 document. The document exported should have your first name and the first three letters of your last name at the top. It will also separate your data into the following categories: Date, Type, Received Quantity, Received Currency, Sent Quantity, Sent Currency, and Tag. You can take this report to your accountant this tax season.
How to Download your Transaction History File (to upload to CoinTracker)
Follow steps 1 and 2 above. From there, you can export the CoinTracker Version document. The document exported should have your first name and the first three letters of your last name at the top. It will also separate your data into the following categories: Date, Received Quantity, Currency, Sent Quantity, Currency, Fee Amount, Fee Currency, and Tag.
You can upload this version to CoinTracker to combine all of your cryptocurrency transactions from multiple trading platforms.
Email your questions to email@example.com. Take advantage of the Newton Referral Program: refer a friend to Newton, make $25 each once they trade $100 in volume.
Happy trading! 🤘